Re: Autovacuum Issue

On 02/12/11 07:18, Robert Haas wrote:

And also please share your views on my decision about disable autovacuum for
my application. I am planning to run vacuum command daily on that small
table which has frequent updates.
Sounds like a bad plan.

If the table has frequent updates vacuuming once a day will not control space bloat from dead rows... so your small table's storage will become a very large (even though there are only a few undeleted rows), and performance will become terrible.

I would suggest tuning autovacuum to wakeup more frequently (c.f autovacuum_naptime parameter), so your small table stays small.

Also you didn't mention what version of Postgres you are running. In 8.4 and later vacuum (hence autovacuum) is much smarter about finding dead rows to clean up, and should have less impact. You can also control the load autovacuum puts on your system (c.f autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay parameter).

regards

Mark