Re: Guide to PG's capabilities for inlining, predicate hoisting, flattening, etc?

On 03/11/11 09:22, Igor Neyman wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Haas [mailto:robertmhaas@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 11:13 AM
To: Tom Lane
Cc: Jay Levitt; pgsql-performance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Guide to PG's capabilities for inlining, predicate
hoisting, flattening, etc?
Perhaps we could let people say
something like WITH x AS FENCE (...) when they want the fencing
behavior, and otherwise assume they don't (but give it to them anyway
if there's a data-modifying operation in there).

Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Hints.... here we come :)

Is that a hint???

[Sorry, my perverse sense of humour kicked in]

I too would like CTE's to take part in optimisation - as I don't like the mass slaughter of kittens, but I still want to pander to my speed addiction.

So I think that having some sort of fence mechanism would be good.

Cheers,
Gavin