Re: Postgres for a "data warehouse", 5-10 TB

On 11.09.2011 22:10, Scott Marlowe wrote:

Another data point.  We had a big Oracle installation at my last job,
and OLAP queries were killing it midday, so I built a simple
replication system to grab rows from the big iron Oracle SUN box and
shove into a single core P IV 2.xGHz machine with 4 120G SATA drives
in SW RAID-10.

That machine handily beat the big iron Oracle machine at OLAP queries,
running in 20 minutes what was taking well over an hour for the big
Oracle machine to do, even during its (Oracle machine) off peak load
times.

Um, that sounds as if the SUN setup was really bad. Do you remember any details about the drive configuration there?

Kind regards

	robert