Re: RAID Controllers

On 8/22/2011 10:55 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
If you're running linux and thus stuck with the command line on the
LSI, I'd recommend anything else.  MegaRAID is the hardest RAID
control software to use I've ever seen.  If you can spring for the
money, get the Areca 1680:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151023  Be
sure and get the battery unit for it.  You can configure it from an
external ethernet connector very easily, and the performance is
outstandingly good.
Thanks. I took a look at Areca. The fan on the controller board is a big
warning signal for me (those fans are in my experience the single most
unreliable component ever used in computers).

Can you say a bit more about the likely problems with the CLI ?
I'm thinking that I configure the card once, and copy the config
to all the other boxes, so even if it's as obscure as Cisco IOS,
how bad can it be ? Is the concern more with things like a rebuild;
monitoring for drive failures -- that kind of constant management
task ?

How about Adaptec on Linux ? The supercapacitor and NAND
flash idea looks like a good one, provided the firmware doesn't
have bugs (true with any write back controller though).