Re: RAID Controllers

On 8/22/2011 9:42 PM, David Boreham wrote:
I'm buying a bunch of new machines (all will run an application that heavily
writes to PG). These machines will have 2 spindle groups in a RAID-1 config.
Drives will be either 15K SAS, or 10K SATA (I haven't decided if it is
better
to buy the faster drives, or drives that are identical to the ones we are
already running in our production servers, thus achieving commonality in
spares across all machines).

Controller choice looks to be between Adaptec 6405, with the
supercapacitor unit;
or LSI 9260-4i with its BBU. Price is roughly the same.

Would be grateful for any thoughts on this choice.

I'm by no means an expert but it seems to me if you're going to choose between two 6 GB/s cards you may as well put SAS2 drives in. I have two Adaptec 6445 cards in one of my boxes and several other Adaptec series 5 controllers in others. They suit my needs and I haven't had any problems with them. I think it has been mentioned previously but they do tend to run hot so plenty of airflow would be good.

Bob