Re: benchmark woes and XFS options

I think your notion that you have an HP CCISS driver in this older kernel that just doesn't drive your card very fast is worth exploring. What I sometimes do in the situation you're in is boot a Linux distribution that comes with a decent live CD, such as Debian or Ubuntu. Just mount the suspect drive, punch up read-ahead, and re-test performance. That should work well enough to do a simple dd test, and probably well enough to compile and run bonnie++ too. If that gives good performance numbers, it should narrow the list of possible causes considerably. You really need to separate out "bad driver" from the other possibilities here given what you've described, and that's a low impact way to do it.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD