Re: Long Running Update

Thank you so much for all the feedback, Kevin - much appreciated.

I have stopped the all-in-one-go update from executing, and now I am executing a series of statements, each constrained to update no more than 100,000 records at a time.

Interesting fact: updating 100,000 rows takes 5 seconds. Quick.

I tried updating 1 million rows in one go, and the statement was still running after 25 minutes, before I killed it!

So I am now executing an SQL script with almost 800 separate update-statements, each set to update 100K records, and the thing is trundling along nicely. (I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by MatLab users, one of whom generated the 800-statement file in one minute flat!)

Many thanks again for all the info.

Kind regards

Harry Mantheakis
London, UK