Re: "error with invalid page header" while vacuuming pgbench data

On 05/26/2011 06:18 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 4:07 PM, John Rouillard<rouilj@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Well I am also managing to panic the kernel on some runs as well.  So
my guess is this is not only a postgres bug (if it's a postgres issue
at all).

As gregg mentioned in another followup ext4 under centos 5.x may be an
issue. I'll drop back to ext3 and see if I can replicate the
corruption or crashes one I rule out some potential hardware issues.

Also do the standard memtest86+ run to ensure your memory isn't bad.
Also do a simple dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null to make sure the drive
has no errors.

If possible, also/instead use smartctl from smartmontools to ask the drive to do an internal self-test and surface scan. This doesn't help you with RAID volumes, but is often much more informative with plain physical drives.

--
Craig Ringer