Re: serveRAID M5014 SAS

On 25/05/11 19:33, Grzegorz JaÅkiewicz wrote:
Does anyone here have any bad experiences with the RAID card in subject ?
This is in an IBM server, with 2.5" 10k drives.

But we seem to observe its poor performance in other configurations as
well (with different drives, different settings) in comparison with -
say, what dell provides.

Interestingly enough, I've been benchmarking a M5015 SAS, with the optional wee cable for enabling the battery backup for the 512MB of cache. With a 6 disk raid 10 + 2 disk raid 1 - with the array settings NORA+DIRECT, and writeback enabled we're seeing quite good pgbench performance (12 cores + 48G ram, Ubuntu 10.04 with xfs):

scale 2500 db with 48 clients, 10 minute runs: 2300 tps
scale   500 db with 24 clients, 10 minute runs: 6050 tps

I did notice that the sequential performance was quite lackluster (using bonnie) - but are not too concerned about that for the use case (could probably fix using blockdev --setra).

I'm guessing that even tho your M5014 card comes with less ram (256M I think), if you can enable the battery backup and cache writes it should be quite good. Also I think the amount of ram on the card is upgradable (4G is the max for the M5105 I *think* - can't find the right doc to check this ATM sorry).

Cheers

Mark