Re: Background fsck

What's more, this is already a new controller. It replaced the previous one because of exactly the same persisting problem. I think tech support people not knowing a solution just buy some time for them and say "flash this beta firmware maybe it helps" or "replace your hardware".

We had a problem like this on a server a few years ago on the job... The machine randomly crashed once a month. XFS coped alright until, one day, it threw the towel, and the poor maintenance guys needed to run xfsrepair. Needless to say, the machine crashed again while xfsrepair was running concurrently on all filesystems. All filesystems were then completely trashed... That convinced the boss maybe something was wrong and a new box was rushed in... Then a few tens of terabytes of backup restoration ... zzzzzz ....

It turned out it was a faulty SCSI cable.