Re: Linux: more cores = less concurrency.

If postgres is memory bandwidth constrained, what can be done to reduce
its bandwidth use?

Huge Pages could help some, by reducing page table lookups and making
overall access more efficient.
Compressed pages (speedy / lzo) in memory can help trade CPU cycles for
memory usage for certain memory segments/pages -- this could potentially
save a lot of I/O too if more pages fit in RAM as a result, and also make
caches more effective.

As I've noted before, the optimizer inappropriately choses the larger side
of a join to hash instead of the smaller one in many cases on hash joins,
which is less cache efficient.
Dual-pivot quicksort is more cache firendly than Postgres' single pivit
one and uses less memory bandwidth on average (fewer swaps, but the same
number of compares).