Re: Intel SSDs that may not suck

On 4/6/11 4:03 PM, "gnuoytr@xxxxxxx" <gnuoytr@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Not for user data, only controller data.

False.  I used to think so, but there is volatile write cache for user
data -- its on the 256K chip SRAM not the DRAM though.

Simple power failure tests demonstrate that you lose data with these
drives unless you disable the cache.  Disabling the cache roughly drops
write performance by a factor of 3 to 4 on G1 drives and significantly
hurts wear-leveling and longevity (I haven't tried G2's).