Re: Xeon twice the performance of opteron

On 03/17/2011 11:13 AM, Jeff wrote:
three boxes:
A: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5345 @ 2.33GHz (Runs query fastest)
        4MB cache
B: Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2352 (2.1GHZ) (Main production box, currently, middle speed)
        512k cache
    C: Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2378 (2.4GHZ)
        512k cache

It's possible that transfer speed between the CPU and memory are very different between these systems when running a single-core operation. Intel often has an advantage there; I don't have any figures on this generation of processors to know for sure though. If you can get some idle time to run my stream-scaling tool from https://github.com/gregs1104/stream-scaling that might give you some insight.

Now here's where some odd stuff starts piling up: explain analyze overhead on said queries:
20ms on A, 50ms on B and 85ms on C(!!)

I found an example in my book where EXPLAIN ANALYZE took a trivial COUNT(*) query from 8ms to 70ms. It's really not cheap for some sorts of things.

I know we're running an old kernel, I'm tempted to upgrade to see what will happen, but at the same time I'm afraid it'll upgrade to a kernel with a broken [insert major subsystem here] which has happened before.

Running a production server on Fedora Core is a scary operation pretty much all the time. That said, I wouldn't consider 2.6.27 to be an old kernel--not when RHEL5 is still using 2.6.18. The kernel version you get for FC10 is probably quite behind on updates, though, relative to a kernel.org one that has kept getting bug fixes.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD