Re: good old VACUUM FULL

On 03/23/2011 01:16 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

Then either cluster failed (did you get an error message) or the table
was not bloated.  Given that it looks like it was greatly reduced in
size by the vacuum full, I'd guess cluster failed for some reason.

Or it just bloated again. Remember, he still hasn't changed his max_fsm_pages setting, and that table apparently experiences *very* high turnover.

A 25x bloat factor isn't unheard of for such a table. We have one that needs to have autovacuum or be manually vacuumed frequently because it experiences several thousand update/deletes per minute. The daily turnover of that particular table is around 110x. If our fsm settings were too low, or we didn't vacuum regularly, I could easily see that table quickly becoming unmanageable. I fear for his django_session table for similar reasons.

Felix, I know you don't want to "experiment" with kernel parameters, but you *need* to increase your max_fsm_pages setting.

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse | 141 W. Jackson Blvd. | Suite 800 | Chicago IL, 60604