Re: good old VACUUM FULL

On 23/03/11 11:52, felix wrote:
I posted many weeks ago about a severe problem with a table that was
obviously bloated and was stunningly slow. Up to 70 seconds just to get
a row count on 300k rows.

I removed the text column, so it really was just a few columns of fixed
data.
Still very bloated.  Table size was 450M

The advice I was given was to do CLUSTER, but this did not reduce the
table size in the least.
Nor performance.

Also to resize my free space map (which still does need to be done).
Since that involves tweaking the kernel settings, taking the site down
and rebooting postgres and exposing the system to all kinds of risks and
unknowns and expensive experimentations I was unable to do it and have
had to hobble along with a slow table in my backend holding up jobs.

Much swearing that nobody should ever do VACUUM FULL.  Manual advises
against it.  Only crazy people do that.

<snip>

moral of the story:  if your table is really bloated, just do VACUUM FULL

You'll need to reindex that table now - vacuum full can bloat your indexes which will affect your other queries.

reindex table fastadder_fastadderstatus;

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/