Re: Analyze on temp table taking very long

"Mahadevan, Mridula" <Mridula.Mahadevan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> This has been running fine for a while on multiple setups, large and small volumes. The setups all have the same hardware configuration.

> On one particular setup with about 200k records and this analyze runs for 45min and then times out(statement timeout is set to 45 min). typically this takes a few seconds at best. But when I move the analyze outside the loop everything runs fine.

Is it actually *running*, as in doing something, or is it just blocked?
I can't immediately think of any reason for some other process to have
a lock on a temp table that belongs to your process; but it seems
unlikely that ANALYZE would randomly take much longer than expected
unless something was preventing it from making progress.

Look into pg_locks and/or watch the backend with strace next time this
happens.

			regards, tom lane