Re: Table partitioning problem

On Mar 8, 2011, at 9:45 AM, Samba GUEYE wrote:
> I have a problem with table partitioning because i have a foreign key applied on the partionned table and it throw a constraint violation error during inserts.
> I saw on the manual (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/ddl-inherit.html caveats section) that it's a limitation due to postgrsql table inheritance select queries performance are really bad without partitionning and i'm looking for a workaround to this foreign key problem or another solution for improve performance for larges tables.

Actually, this sounds more like having a foreign key pointed at a parent table in an inheritance tree; which flat-out doesn't do what you'd want.

Can you tell us what the foreign key constraint actually is, and what the inheritance setup for the tables in the FK is?
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@xxxxxxxxx