Re: choosing the right RAID level for PostgresQL database

sergey wrote:
I got a disk array appliance of 8 disks 1T each (UltraStor RS8IP4). It will be used solely by PostgresQL database and I am trying to choose the best RAID level for it.
..
Space is the least important factor. Even 1T will be enough.

Use RAID10, measure the speed of the whole array using the bonnie++ ZCAV tool, and only use the fastest part of each array to store the important stuff. You will improve worst-case performance in both sequential reads and seek time that way. Drives are nearly twice as fast at their beginning as they are at the end, and with only 8 drives you should be able to setup a RAID10 array with all the fast parts aligned.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD