Re: Really really slow select count(*)

On 02/08/2011 03:05 AM, Greg Smith wrote:

Accordingly I would expect any serious
attempt to add some auto-reduction behavior to be beset with argument,
and I'd never consider writing such a thing as a result. Too many
non-controversial things I could work on instead.

Yep. I expressed my own doubts in the post I suggested that in.

If Pg did auto-correct down, it'd be necessary to scream about it angrily and continuously, not just once during startup. Given that it's clear many people never even look at the logs ("what logs? where are they?") I think Pg would also have to send notices to the client. Problem is, many clients don't process notices/warnings, so particularly slack admins won't see that either.

I'm not particularly excited about the idea.

--
Craig Ringer