Re: getting the most of out multi-core systems for repeated complex SELECT statements

On 02/03/2011 10:54 AM, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Mark,
>
> you could try gevel module to get structure of GIST index and look if
> items distributed more or less homogenous (see different levels). You
> can visualize index like http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/wiki/Rtree_Index
> Also, if your searches are neighbourhood searches, them you could try
> knn, available
> in 9.1 development version.

Oleg,

Those are interesting details to consider. I read more about KNN here:

http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2010/12/11/waiting-for-9-1-knngist/

Will I be able to use it improve the performance of finding nearby
zipcodes? It sounds like KNN has great potential for performance
improvements!

   Mark