About pg_stat_activity

Hi, im César, im developing an app that saves information included in "pg_stat_activity" view in order to monitor querys. The objective of this app is to gather information about querys that take to long to finish and overload the server. I was wandering if I could see somehwere the implementation of "pg_stat_activity" view, in order to not save the information in another table, I need to use historical information about querys.
If you could help looking about this, or if you know about an app that already do this, please let me know.