Re: queries with lots of UNIONed relations

On 1/13/2011 5:41 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
You might be right, but I'm not sure.  Suppose that there are 100
inheritance children, and each has 10,000 distinct values, but none of
them are common between the tables.  In that situation, de-duplicating
each individual table requires a hash table that can hold 10,000
entries.  But deduplicating everything at once requires a hash table
that can hold 1,000,000 entries.

Or am I all wet?

Have you considered using Google's map-reduce framework for things like that? Union and group functions look like ideal candidates for such a thing. I am not sure whether map-reduce can be married to a relational database, but I must say that I was impressed with the speed of MongoDB. I am not suggesting that PostgreSQL should sacrifice its ACID compliance for speed, but Mongo sure does look like a speeding bullet. On the other hand, the algorithms that have been paralleled for a long time are precisely sort/merge and hash algorithms used for union and group by functions. This is what I have in mind:
http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html

--
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA