Re: Same stament sometime fast, something slow

Kevin Grittner wrote:
Two common causes for this are blocking and overloading the I/O
system at checkpoint.  You might want to turn on logging of
checkpoints to see if this happens only during checkpoints.  See this
page for techniques to look at blocking:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Lock_Monitoring

I just updated this to mention use of log_lock_waits to help here. Looking for patterns in log_min_duration_statement, log_checkpoints, and log_lock_waits entries, seeing which tend to happen at the same time, is the usual helpful trio to investigate when having intermittent slow queries. Of course, with Windows running on a VM, there's a hundred other things that could be causing this completely unrelated to the database.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support        www.2ndQuadrant.us