Re: long wait times in ProcessCatchupEvent()

Mladen Gogala <mladen.gogala@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> May I ask what exactly is "sinval"? I took a look at Craig's
> problem and your description but I wasn't able to figure out what
> is sinval lock and what does it lock? I apologize if the question
> is stupid.

This area could probably use a README file, but you can get a good
idea from the comment starting on line 30 of this file:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/storage/ipc/sinvaladt.c;h=7910346dd55512be13712ea2342586d705bb0b35

It has to do with communication between processes regarding
invalidation of the shared cache.

-Kevin