Re: CPU bound

On 12/19/2010 7:57 PM, James Cloos wrote:
"RA" == Royce Ausburn<royce@xxxxxxxxxxx>  writes:
RA>  I notice that when restoring a DB on a laptop with an SDD,
RA>  typically postgres is maxing out a CPU - even during a COPY.

The time the CPUs spend waiting on system RAM shows up as CPU
time, not as Wait time.  It could be just that the SSD is fast
enough that the RAM is now the bottleneck, although parsing
and text<=>binary conversions (especially for integers, reals
and anything stored as an integer) also can be CPU-intensive.

-JimC

Good time accounting is the most compelling reason for having a wait event interface, like Oracle. Without the wait event interface, one cannot really tell where the time is spent, at least not without profiling the database code, which is not an option for a production database.

--
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA