Re: performance libpq vs JDBC

On 16/12/10 09:21, Werner Scholtes wrote:
I assume that the wire protocol of PostgreSQL allows to transmit
multiple rows at once, but libpq doesn't have an interface to access it.
Is that right?

Sounds wrong to me. The libpq client is the default reference implementation of the protocol. If there were large efficiencies that could be copied, they would be.

Anyway - you don't need to assume what's in the protocol. It's documented here:
  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/protocol.html

I'd stick wireshark or some other network analyser on the two sessions - see exactly what is different.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd