Re: Performance under contention

On 11/22/10 18:47, Kevin Grittner wrote:
Ivan Voras<ivoras@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

It looks like a hack

Not to everyone.  In the referenced section, Hellerstein,
Stonebraker and Hamilton say:

"any good multi-user system has an admission control policy"

In the case of PostgreSQL I understand the counter-argument,
although I'm inclined to think that it's prudent for a product to
limit resource usage to a level at which it can still function well,
even if there's an external solution which can also work, should
people use it correctly.  It seems likely that a mature admission
control policy could do a better job of managing some resources than
an external product could.

I didn't think it would be that useful but yesterday I did some (unrelated) testing with MySQL and it looks like its configuration parameter "thread_concurrency" does something to that effect.

Initially I thought it is equivalent to PostgreSQL's max_connections but no, connections can grow (MySQL spawns a thread per connection by default) but the actual concurrency is limited in some way by this parameter.

The comment for the parameter says "# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency" but obviously it would depend a lot on the real-world load.