Re: Which gives good performance? separate database vs separate schema

Divakar Singh, 25.11.2010 12:37:
Hello Friends,
I have many instances of my software running on a server (Solaris SPARC). Each software instance requires some DB tables (same DDL for all instances' tables) to store data.
It essentially means that some processes from each instance of the software connect to these tables.
Now, should I put these tables in 1 Database's different schemas or in separate databases itself for good performance?
I am using libpq for connection.

I don't think it will make a big difference in performance.

The real question is: do you need queries that "cross boundaries"? If that is the case you have to use schema, because Postgres does not support cross-database queries.

Regards
Thomas