Re: How to achieve sustained disk performance of 1.25 GB write for 5 mins

On 11/17/10 22:11, Eric Comeau wrote:

*) what kind of data do you expect to be writing out at this speed?

Large Video files ... our s/w is used to displace FTP.

*) how many transactions per second will you expect to have?

Ideally 1 large file, but it may have to be multiple. We find that if we
send multiple files it just causes the disk to thrash more so we get
better throughput by sending one large file.

*) what is the architecture of the client? how many connections will
be open to postgres writing?

Our s/w can do multiple streams, but I believe we get better performance
with 1 stream handling one large file, you could have 4 streams with 4
files in flight, but the disk thrashes more... postgres is not be
writing the file data, our agent reports back to postgres stats on the
transfer rate being achieved ... postgres transactions is not the issue.
The client and server are written in C and use UDP (with our own error
correction) to achieve high network throughput as opposed to TCP.

I hope you know what you are doing, there is a large list of tricks used by modern high performance FTP and web servers to get maximum performance from hardware and the operating system while minimizing CPU usage - and most of them don't work with UDP.

Before you test with real hardware, try simply sending dummy data or /dev/null data (i.e. not from disks, not from file systems) and see how it goes.