Re: Anyone seen this kind of lock pileup?

> Hmm ... can you extract a test case?  Or at least strace the backends
> involved?

No, and no.  Strace was the first thing I thought of, but I'd have to
somehow catch one of these backends in the 3 seconds it's locked.  Not
really feasible.

It might be possible to construct a test case, depending on how much the
user wants to spend on the problem.  I'd estimate that a test case would
take 8-12 hours of my time to get working, given the level of activity
and concurrency required.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.