Re: How to achieve sustained disk performance of 1.25 GB write for 5 mins

On 11/17/10 15:26, Eric Comeau wrote:
This is not directly a PostgreSQL performance question but I'm hoping
some of the chaps that build high IO PostgreSQL servers on here can help.

We build file transfer acceleration s/w (and use PostgreSQL as our
database) but we need to build a test server that can handle a sustained
write throughput of 1,25 GB for 5 mins.

Just to clarify: you need 1.25 GB/s write throughput?

For one thing, you need not only fast storage but also a fast CPU and file system. If you are going to stream this data directly over the network in a single FTP-like session, you need fast single-core performance (so buy the fastest low-core-count CPU possible) and a file system which doesn't interfere much with raw data streaming. If you're using Linux I'd guess either something very simple like ext2 or complex but designed for the task like XFS might be best. On FreeBSD, ZFS is great for streaming but you'll spend a lot of time tuning it :)

From the hardware POW, since you don't really need high IOPS rates, you can go much cheaper with a large number of cheap desktop drives than with SSD-s, if you can build something like this: http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

You don't need the storage space here, but you *do* need many drives to achieve speed in RAID (remember to overdesign and assume 50 MB/s per drive).