Re: anti-join chosen even when slower than old plan

I'd say there are two Qs here:

1) Modify costs based on information on how much of the table is in cache. It would be great if this can be done, but I'd prefer to have it as admin knobs (because of plan stability). May be both admin and automatic ways can be followed with some parallel (disableable) process modify knobs on admin behalf. In this case different strategies to automatically modify knobs can be applied.

2) Modify costs for part of table retrieval. Then you need to define "part". Current ways are partitioning and partial indexes. Some similar to partial index thing may be created, that has only "where" clause and no data. But has statistics and knobs (and may be personal bufferspace if they are introduced). I don't like to gather data about "last X percents" or like, because it works only in clustering and it's hard for optimizer to decide if it will be enough to scan only this percents for given query.

Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn