Re: Simple (hopefully) throughput question?

On 03.11.2010 17:52, Nick Matheson wrote:
We have an application that needs to do bulk reads of ENTIRE
Postgres tables very quickly (i.e. select * from table). We have
observed that such sequential scans run two orders of magnitude slower
than observed raw disk reads (5 MB/s versus 100 MB/s). Part of this is
due to the storage overhead we have observed in Postgres. In the
example below, it takes 1 GB to store 350 MB of nominal data. However
that suggests we would expect to get 35 MB/s bulk read rates.

Observations using iostat and top during these bulk reads suggest
that the queries are CPU bound, not I/O bound. In fact, repeating the
queries yields similar response times. Presumably if it were an I/O
issue the response times would be much shorter the second time through
with the benefit of caching.

We have tried these simple queries using psql, JDBC, pl/java stored
procedures, and libpq. In all cases the client code ran on the same
box as the server. We have experimented with Postgres 8.1, 8.3 and 9.0.

Try COPY, ie. "COPY bulk_performance.counts TO STDOUT BINARY".

--
  Heikki Linnakangas