Re: [HACKERS] MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmhaas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> perhaps it would be possible by, say, increasing the number of
>> lock partitions by 8x.  It would be nice to segregate these issues
>> though, because using pread/pwrite is probably a lot less work
>> than rewriting our lock manager.
>
> You mean easier than changing this 4 to a 7?:
>
> #define LOG2_NUM_LOCK_PARTITIONS  4
>
> Or am I missing something?

Right.  They did something more complicated (and, I think, better)
than that, but that change by itself might be enough to ameliorate the
lock contention enough to see the lsek() issue.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company