Re: Running 9 in production? Sticking with 8.4.4 for a while?

On 9/28/2010 4:45 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
Tory M Blue wrote:
I'm doing an OS upgrade and have been sitting on 8.4.3 for sometime. I
was wondering if it's better for the short term just to bring things
to 8.4.4 and let 9.0 bake a bit longer, or are people with large data
sets running 9.0 in production already?

I'm aware of two people with large data sets who have been running 9.0
in production since it was in beta. Like most code, what you have to
consider is how much the code path you expect to use each day has been
modified during the previous release. If you're using 9.0 as "a better
8.4", the odds of your running into a problem are on the low side of the
risk curve. But those using the features that are both new and were
worked on until the very end of the development cycle, like the new
replication features, they are much more likely to run into a bug.

A conservative approach is never to use version x.0 of *anything*. The PG developers are very talented (and also very helpful on these mailing lists - thanks for that), but they are human. For work I'm paid to do (as opposed to my own or charity work), I like to stay at least one point release behind the bleeding edge.

--
Guy Rouillier