Re: Performance degradation, index bloat and planner estimates

On 20/09/2010 7:59 PM, Daniele Varrazzo wrote:

Does anybody have some information about where the bloat is coming
from and what is the best way to get rid of it? Would a vacuum full
fix this kind of problem? Is there a way to fix it without taking the
system offline?

It's hard to know where the index bloat comes from. The usual cause I see reported here is with regular VACUUM FULL use, which doesn't seem to be a factor in your case.

A VACUUM FULL will not address index bloat; it's more likely to add to it. You'd want to use CLUSTER instead, but that'll still require an exclusive lock that takes the table offline for some time. Your current solution - a concurrent reindex - is your best bet for a workaround until you find out what's causing the bloat.

If the bloat issue were with relations rather than indexes I'd suspect free space map issues as you're on 8.3.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/runtime-config-resource.html

My (poor) understanding is that index-only bloat probably won't be an FSM issue.

The indexed condition is a state of the evolution of the records in
the table: many records assume that state for some time, then move to
a different state no more indexed. Is the continuous addition/deletion
of records to the index causing the bloat (which can be then
considered limited to the indexes with a similar usage pattern)?

Personally I don't know enough to answer that. I would've expected that proper VACUUMing would address any resulting index bloat, but

Any idea of where the 20M record estimate is coming from? Isn't the
size of the partial index taken into account in the estimate?

I'd really help to have EXPLAIN ANALYZE output here.

--
Craig Ringer