Re: GPU Accelerated Sorting

Eliot Gable wrote:
Not sure if anyone else saw this, but it struck me as an interesting
idea if it could be added to PostgreSQL. GPU accelerated database
operations could be very... interesting. Of course, this could be
difficult to do in a way that usefully increases performance of
PostgreSQL, but I'll leave that up to you guys to figure out.

This comes up every year or so. The ability of GPU offloading to help with sorting has to overcome the additional latency that comes from copying everything over to it and then getting all the results back. If you look at the typical types of sorting people see in PostgreSQL, it's hard to find ones that are a) big enough to benefit from being offloaded to the GPU like that, while also being b) not so bottlenecked on disk I/O that speeding up the CPU part matters. And if you need to sort something in that category, you probably just put an index on it instead and call it a day.

If you made me make a list of things I'd think would be worthwhile to spend effort improving in PostgreSQL, this would be on the research list, but unlikely to even make my personal top 100 things that are work fiddling with.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us