Re: Linux Filesystems again - Ubuntu this time

Whit Armstrong <armstrong.whit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> While we're on the topic, do you also diable fsync?

We only disable fsync during bulk loads, where we would be starting
over anyway if there was a failure.  Basically, you should never use
fsync unless you are OK with losing everything in the database
server if you have an OS or hardware failure.  We have a few
databases where we would consider that if performance wasn't
otherwise acceptable, since they are consolidated replicas of
off-side source databases, and we have four identical ones in two
separate buildings; however, since performance is good with fsync on
and it would be a bother to have to copy from one of the other
servers in the event of an OS crash, we leave it on.

-Kevin