Re: Highly Efficient Custom Sorting

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm guessing from tea leaves, but the impression I got from Eliot's
description is that he's using plpgsql functions as sort comparators.
It's not surprising that that sucks performance-wise compared to having
the equivalent logic in C/C++ functions used as comparators on the
client side.  plpgsql is no speed demon.  Best fix might be to code the
comparators as C functions on the server side.