Re: ideal storage configuration

Samuel Gendler wrote:
6 internal drives on battery backed raid (I don't know what RAID level
- is there a way to discover this?), all in a single filesystem, so
WAL and data are on the same filesystem.  I don't believe that we are
taking advantage of the battery backed controller, since I only see
this in /etc/fstab:

UUID=12dcd71d-8aec-4253-815c-b4883195eeb8 /                       ext3
   defaults        1 1

That doesn't tell you anything about whether the card's write cache is being used or not. What you need to do is install the monitoring tools provided by the manufacturer of the card, which will let you check both the RAID level and how the cache is setup. I can't give any more specific instructions because you left out a vital piece of system information: what RAID card you actually have.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us