Re: Query about index usage

Jayadevan M <Jayadevan.Maymala@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One query about PostgreSQL's index usage. If I select just one
> column on which there is an index (or select only columns on which
> there is an index), and the index is used by PostgreSQL, does
> PostgreSQL avoid table access if possible?

PostgreSQL can't currently avoid reading the table, because that's
where the tuple visibility information is stored.  We've been making
progress toward having some way to avoid reading the table for all
except very recently written tuples, but we're not there yet (in any
production version or in the 9.0 version to be released this
summer).

-Kevin