Re: performance of temporary vs. regular tables

Yes, the "other" reason is that I am not issueing a single SQL command, but import data from plain ASCII files through the Pyhton-based framework into the database.

The difference between your measurement and my measurent is the upper potential of improvement for my system (which has, on the other hand, the advantage of being a bit more powerful and flexible than a single SQL statement....;-) )

Ah, in that case ... ;)

You could give pypy a try, sometimes it's a lot slower, sometimes it's a lot faster.