Re: How check execution plan of a function

On Wed Apr 7 2010 7:47 AM, Sabin Coanda wrote:
Hi there,

I have a function which returns setof record based on a specific query.
I try to check the execution plan of that query, so I write EXPLAIN ANALYZE
before my select, I call the function and I see the result which shows an
actual time about 5 seconds. But when I call my function after I remove
EXPLAIN ANALYZE it takes more than 300 seconds, and I cancel it.

What's happen, or how can I see the function execution plan to optimize it ?

TIA,
Sabin

I ran into the same problems, what I did was enable the logging in postgresql.conf. I dont recall exactly what I enabled, but it was something like:

track_functions = pl

log_statement_stats = on
log_duration = on

Then in the serverlog you can see each statement, and how long it took. Once I found a statement that was slow I used explain analyze on just it so I could optimize that one statement.

-Andy