Re: Using high speed swap to improve performance?

Christiaan Willemsen wrote:
About a year ago we setup a machine with sixteen 15k disk spindles on
Solaris using ZFS. Now that Oracle has taken Sun, and is closing up Solaris,
we want to move away (we are more familiar with Linux anyway).

Lew <noone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What evidence do you have that Oracle is "closing up" Solaris?

Scott Marlowe wrote:
I don't think the other poster mean shutting down solaris, that would
be insane.  I think he meant closing it, as in taking it closed
source, which there is ample evidence for.

Oh, that makes sense.  Yes, it does seem that they're doing that.

Some press hints that Oracle might keep OpenSolaris going, forked from the for-pay product. If that really is true, I speculate that Oracle might be emulating the strategy in such things as Apache Geronimo - turn the open-source side loose on the world under a license that lets you dip into it for code in the closed-source product. Innovation flows to the closed-source product rather than from it. This empowers products like WebSphere Application Server, which includes a lot of reworked Apache code in the persistence layer, the web-services stack, the app-server engine and elsewhere.

I don't know Oracle's plans, but that sure would be a good move for them.

For me, I am quite satisfied with Linux. I don't really know what the value proposition is for Solaris anyway.

--
Lew