Re: Performance Tuning Large PL/PGSQL Stored Procedure

On 26/03/10 03:56, Eliot Gable wrote:

I really am chasing milliseconds here, and I appreciate all your feedback.
You've given me a relatively large number of possible optimizations I can
try out. I will definitely try out the libpqtypes. That sounds like a
promising way to further cut down on execution time. I think most of my
performance penalty is in transfering the results back to the C++
application.

In addition to all of Merlin's good advice, if the client is on a different machine to the server then try sticking wireshark or similar onto the connection. That should make it pretty clear where the main costs are in getting your data back.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd