Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

Rob Wultsch wrote:
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No, it's not optimistic in the least, at least not since we implemented
synchronized seqscans (in 8.3 or thereabouts).
Where can I find details about this in the documentation?

It's a behind the scenes optimization so it's not really documented on the user side very well as far as I know; easy to forget it's even there as I did this morning. http://j-davis.com/postgresql/syncscan/syncscan.pdf is a presentation covering it, and http://j-davis.com/postgresql/83v82_scans.html is also helpful.

While my pessimism on this part may have been overwrought, note the message interleaved on the list today with this discussion from Bob Lunney discussing the other issue I brought up: "When using 8-way parallel restore against a six-disk RAID 10 group I found that table and index scan performance dropped by about 10x. I/O performance was restored by either clustering the tables one at a time, or by dropping and restoring them one at a time. The only reason I can come up with for this behavior is file fragmentation and increased seek times." Now, Bob's situation may very well involve a heavy dose of table fragmentation from multiple active loading processes rather than index fragmentation, but this class of problem is common when trying to do too many things at the same time. I'd hate to see you chase a short-term optimization (reduce total index built time) at the expense of long-term overhead (resulting indexes are not as efficient to scan).

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us