default_statistics_target

Hi people,

The whole topic of messing with stats makes my head spin but I am concerned about some horridly performing queries that have had bad rows estimates and others which always choose seq scans when indexes are available. Reading up on how to improve planner estimates, I have seen references to default_statistics_target being changed from the default of 10 to 100.

Our DB is large, with thousands of tables, but the core schema has about 100 tables and the typical row counts are in the millions of rows for the whole table. We have been playing endless games with tuning this server - but with all of the suggestions, I don't think the issue of changing default_statistics_target has ever come up. Realizing that there is a performance hit associated with ANALYZE, are there any other downsides to increasing this value to 100, and is this a common setting for large DBs?

Thanks,

Carlo