Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics

Francisco Reyes wrote:

Going with a 3Ware SAS controller.

Have some external enclosures with 16 15Krpm drives. They are older 15K rpms, but they should be good enough. Since the 15K rpms usually have better Transanctions per second I will put WAL and indexes in the external enclosure.

It sounds like you have a lot of hardware around - my guess it would be worthwhile to do a test setup with one server hooked up with two 3ware controllers. Also, I am not sure if it is wise to put the WAL on the same logical disk as the indexes, but that is maybe for a different thread (unwise to mix random and sequential io and also the wal has demands when it comes to write cache).

regards,
Yeb Havinga