Re: Dell PERC H700/H800

I've been full-on vocally anti-Dell ever since they started releasing PCs with the non-standard ATX power supply pinout; that was my final straw with their terrible quality decisions. But after doing two tuning exercises with PERC6 controllers and getting quite good results this year, just a few weeks ago I begrudgingly added them to my "known good hardware" list as a viable candidate to suggest to people. They finally took a good LSI card and didn't screw anything up in their version.

I am somehow relieved that sanity has returned to my view of the world now, with Dell right back onto the shit list again. If they want a HCL and to warn people they're in an unsupported configuration when they violate it, which happens on some of their equipment, fine. This move is just going to kill sales of their servers into the low-end of the market, which relied heavily on buying the base system from them and then dropping their own drives in rather than pay the full "enterprise drive" markup for non-critical systems.

I do not as a rule ever do business with a vendor who tries to lock me into being their sole supplier, particularly for consumable replacement parts--certainly a category hard drives fall into. Probably the best place to complain and suggest others do the same at is http://www.ideastorm.com/ideaView?id=087700000000dwTAAQ

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  www.2ndQuadrant.com