Re: bigint integers up to 19 digits.

Tory M Blue wrote:
I have a column that is a bigint that needs to store integers up to 19
digits long. For the most part this works but we sometimes have
numbers that are greater than 9223372036854775807.
I was thinking of changing this to a real or double precision field,
but read in the docs that the value stored is not always the value
inserted...

They're actually less precise than the same size of integer.  Real/double datatypes trade more range for less precision in the same number of bytes.

My number will always be 19 digits long and always an integer.
I looked into the numeric data type, but the docs say that it can be slow.

If it's *always* going to be 19 digits, couldn't you make it a text or char field?  You didn't say if this is really a number.  Do you do arithmetic with it? Sort it numerically?  Or is it just a long identifier that happens to only used digits?

Craig James